DAMA COC Meetings and Events
Buckeye DAMA (the Central Ohio Chapter of the Data Management Association) has general member meetings scheduled four times a year. Buckeye DAMA brings you the best speakers and industry leaders in data management. While DAMA is vendor-independent, our meetings also include vendor presentations to provide you with insight into leading technology solutions.
For our Second Quarter Meeting for 2015, we are excited to present the theme Big Data Analytics 2015, with two great speakers, Michael Covert and Victoria Loewengart.
- When: Thursday May 14, 2015 from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
- Where: Expedient Conference Center (NOTE NEW LOCATION!)
- Agenda to follow
- 8:30 am – 12:00 pm
Presentation Abstract –
Big Data Analytics 2015: The past year has shown explosive change in the Big Data analytics market, moving from pure Big Data as infrastructure to delivering advanced scalable analytics as its major theme. The market is growing at a tremendous rate of 30% CAGR, and is expected to reach $114 B by 2018. Growth of this magnitude drives massive change. Some of these changes include:
- Major performance improvements – Big data analytics moved well beyond their batch roots and now deliver real-time performance. The emergence of in-memory computing has taken hold, and a new paradigm, the Lambda Architecture, has emerged as the primary means of delivering real-time analytics to the enterprise.
- Significant advances in systems integration – Vendors and open source initiatives have now more tightly integrated Big Data repositories into the enterprise. The data lake concept has taken hold, yet effective usage requires analytical and data manipulation skills of the Data Scientist.
- New Frameworks – Big data analytics systems have been notoriously difficult to program and the underlying fabric is changing very rapidly. New frameworks have now emerged that make software development easier, and also provide insulation from rapidly evolving infrastructure changes. These frameworks continue to advance machine learning and deep learning paradigms allowing sophisticated delivery of more complex forms of analytics.
- Advanced analytics – Predictive and prescriptive analytics have emerged as the new driving concept in big data. Systems today use machine learning, graph theory, natural language processing, deep learning, and business rules to discover, predict, and prescribe actions.
This session will review each of these changes and will also discuss what we can expect in the next and subsequent years as this growth and expansion continues.
About Our Speakers
Michael Covert – is the founder and CEO of Analytics Inside, a company delivering software, services, and training of Big Data, predictive analytics, and prescriptive analytics. Mr. Covert has experience in a variety of business and technical roles, including risk management, profitability analysis, financial management, and governance and regulatory processes. He is also an experienced specialist in big data, machine learning, and advanced analytics. Mr. Covert is a Cloudera Hadoop Certified Developer.
Victoria Loewengart – is the COO of Analytics Inside. She is a scientist and business leader with specific emphasis in Big Data, predictive analytics, Natural Language Processing, and data management. Victoria Loewengart has 25 years of experience in all facets of “cyberspace” development, management and exploration. She obtained Master Degree in Intelligence Studies from American Military University. Victoria has published numerous articles on topics ranging from text analytics to intelligence analysis and cyber security. Her book “An Introduction to Hacking & Crimeware: A Pocket Guide” was published by IT Governance, UK, January 19, 2012.
Michael and Victoria are authors of “Learning Cascading,” which is being released in June 2015 by Packt Publishing.